Community Health Advocates (CHA) can help guide individuals, families and small businesses through the health care system—with free information, advice, and advocacy on all types of health insurance. Learn More »
Find Help Near You!
There are 43 community agencies around New York to provide services in many locations and languages for New Yorkers and small businesses. Please click on the New York State map below to find an agency near you. You may also use the following fields to search for an agency that provides individual assistance.
Find Help Near You
7/2/2014 - The 2014 CHA grant recipients have been announced (please see below).
CHA 2013 Annual Report: Click here to see the recently published annual report detailing CHA's successes in the past year.
Out-of-Network Billing: A major problem facing many of CHA’s clients is balancing billing as a result of care received from out-of-network providers. CHA has developed materials to assist individuals facing this problem. These materials provide instructions on figuring out how your health plan determines the amount it will pay for out-of-network care. The materials also include instructions on how to appeal the rate your plan paid for out-of-network care, and a template appeal letter. If you have any questions regarding these materials, please contact our Helpline at (888) 614-5400.
2014 CHA Grant Awards
We are happy to announce awards to the following 16 organizations to provide services as part of the Community Health Advocates (CHA) program. These organizations will provide post-enrollment individual assistance and education to individuals and small businesses regarding health care and health insurance. The awardees are:
1. Bronx Works
2. Chenango Health Network
3. Emerald Isle Immigration Center
4. Greater Watertown North Country Chamber of Commerce
5. Health & Welfare Council of Long Island
6. Human Services Coalition of Tompkins County
7. Independent Living Center of the Hudson Valley
8. Legal Assistance of Western NY
9. Make the Road New York
10. Maternal-Infant Services Network
11. Mothers & Babies Perinatal Network of SCNY
12. Neighborhood Legal Services
13. South Asian Council for Social Services
14. Southern Adirondack Independent Living Center
15. Structured Employment Economic Development Corporation
16. United Jewish Organizations of Williamsburg and North Brooklyn
These groups join the following 7 existing CHA organizations to make the full CHA network:
- ACR Health
- Center for Independence of the Disabled, NY
- Community Service Society
- Empire Justice Center
- Medicare Rights Center
- Legal Aid Society
- Nassau-Suffolk Hospital Council
- North Country Prenatal/Perinatal Council, Inc
- S2AY Rural Health Network
Facts and Figures
CHA cases since November 2010 and counting
New Yorkers educated about their health care rights and health insurance options
Counties in which CHA has provided services
Languages in which CHA has provided services