We make health insurance work for New Yorkers
New York State designated Community Health Advocates (CHA) as the state’s health care consumer assistance program in 2010. Since then, CHA has helped over 350,000 consumers and small businesses obtain health care services, understand their health insurance and make it work for them. Read more about Our Impact.
We help New Yorkers:
- Understand how to use their health insurance
- Resolve medical billing and debt issues
- Dispute coverage denials and eligibility determinations
- Get the most from their coverage (get prior authorizations, access specialists, and out-of-network services when needed)
- Access affordable health care services and hospital and prescription financial assistance programs
- Understand how small business owners can offer health insurance and get health insurance tax credits
- Understand health insurance tax credit forms and the reconciliation process
Services we offer:
We have a network of community-based organizations and a live answer Helpline where New Yorkers can get one-on-one, free, unbiased information and assistance.
We conduct community presentations to health care consumers, advocates, small employers, and providers about health insurance programs and New Yorkers’ rights as health care consumers.
We develop capacity at community-based organizations to address local health access needs through ongoing trainings, direct assistance to consumers and small business employers, technical assistance, and program oversight.
Policy Feedback Loop
We provide critical, real-time feedback about health insurance and access to health care issues and trends. We serve as the eyes and ears of communities for state policy makers.