Non-MAGI Medicaid offers comprehensive health insurance for low-income New York State residents. Most people who qualify for non-MAGI Medicaid are individuals who are over 65, disabled, or blind. See the questions below to determine if you qualify for non-MAGI Medicaid and if it is the best option for you.
Who qualifies for Non-MAGI Medicaid?
You may qualify for non-MAGI Medicaid if:
- You are 65 or older, disabled, or blind
- You are a US/Naturalized Citizen or an immigrant present with the knowledge and consent of the US immigration service
- Your income and resources (assets) are below the limit
- You are a New York State resident
- You need or receive long-term care services, a residential in adult homes, treatment centers or OMH facilities
How much does Non-MAGI Medicaid cost?
Non-MAGI Medicaid provides free health insurance to individuals who qualify based on income, resources, and family size. If your income is above the income limit, you may still qualify. Some of your income may not count or you may qualify for other non-MAGI Medicaid programs. Other non-MAGI Medicaid programs include: Spend-down, Medicaid Buy-In for Working People with Disabilities (MBI-WPD), or Medicare Savings Program.
What services will Non-MAGI Medicaid cover?
Non-MAGI Medicaid will cover essential health benefits (EHBs), including:
- All regular medical checkups and follow-up care
- Doctor and clinic visits
- Prescription drugs
- Medical supplies
- Medical equipment and supplies
- Lab tests and x-rays.
- Eye care and eye glasses
- Emergency care
- Dental care
- Nursing home care and home care
- Emergency ambulance transportation
- In-patient hospitalization
How do I enroll in Non-MAGI Medicaid?
You can enroll in non-MAGI Medicaid by applying at your Local Department of Social Services or you can get in person assistance through a facilitated enroller. To find a facilitated enroller near you, please click here, or contact CHA at 888-614-5400.