This internship is a hands-on opportunity for law students to gain exposure to health law and policy, and work with practicing attorneys to advocate on behalf of consumers. Intern duties may include conducting legal research, drafting internal and external appeals, handling direct client service work, and drafting consumer-facing know-your-rights materials. If possible, legal interns will assist in representing clients in Medicaid Fair Hearings and New York State of Health Marketplace appeals.
- Providing information, advice, advocacy services, and representation to CHA clients
- Conducting legal research on New York insurance, public health, and Medicaid law
- Drafting materials for both legal and non-legal audiences
- Drafting and assisting with internal and external appeals of health insurance denials, grievances, and complaints to insurance regulators
- Helping represent clients in Medicaid Fair Hearings and Marketplace appeals
- Maintaining thorough client case records
Ideal Candidate Attributes:
- Interest in health law and serving low-income populations
- Excellent legal research, legal writing, and oral communication skills
- Able to communicate effectively with diverse client populations
- Confidence to work independently
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Competency in languages other than English a plus
- Able to work 17-20 (spring and fall semesters) or 35-40 (summer) hours per week for 10-12 weeks or full school semester
Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line “CHA Legal Internship”.